Tuesday, September 04, 2007

BIT THE BULLET

Ok, I did it. I just ordered a cloth diaper. Yes, I only ordered one. With shipping, it cost $20!! But, I used the diaper calculator and figured out that even purchasing 20 of these diapers, and with the energy and water usage, I would still save almost $700 over the next year and a half by switching to cloth. That savings would be doubled if I used them on my two children in diapers.

I have been researching diapers for over a month and am still clueless. Who would have thought diapers could be so complicated? There are so many different kinds! Then, even after you narrow it down to the type of diaper you think would work best for your family (prefold, indian, chinese, stuffed, all in ones, etc.), then you have to pick the different stuffers to go in the diapers. Do you need pins and diaper covers? What brand do you want to use? The website diaperpin was a very helpful resource, with lots of reviews. Ultimately, I went with the cotton babies Bum Genius 2.0 One-size cloth diaper. It seemed the least complicated, most like a disposable, and received really high ratings from other moms. Plus, you can use the same diapers from newborn until they potty train. So, I could even use the same diapers on both of my little ones. That would be really handy. I thought this would be a good starting point. I am hoping to get my flannel wipes and homemade cleaning spray made this week. I will keep you posted...

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:14 PM

    you are a very brave woman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:32 PM

    Laurel, I used cloth diapers on my oldest (almost 18yrs ago!!). I got a lot of grief from my (now ex) spouse & friends, but I felt like I was doing something good for my daughter's tiny bum and the environment. It can be messier than disposable,but sometimes the easy way out isn't the best. I wish you much luck!!! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:00 PM

    Laurel -- let me know how this goes. I am not brave enough...yet.

    ReplyDelete