Thursday, August 23, 2007

MAKING, INSTEAD OF BUYING

Here we go...I have begun a list of things that I will be making instead of buying over the next two months. I am very excited about it. I love to cook anyway, and my experiment is just the impetus I need to step it up a notch.

These are the things that I have come up with so far that I will be making instead of buying. Let me know if you think of any more I should add to the list.

-Spaghetti Sauce (tomatoes and garlic from the produce stand. Basil I grew. Olive oil in pantry)
-Pizza Crust (I usually buy whole wheat crusts from Wal.mart but making my own shouldn't be any big deal)
-Ice cream
-Granola/Cereal (I regularly make granola. I am going to look online for some homemade cereal recipes)
-Bread (I LOVE making bread. I will be doing this on a weekly basis and supplementing from the bakery)
-Hummus (this is another food that I make on a regular basis and is a great snack food)
-Vanilla Extract (I used to make this but have run out. It takes several months from start to finish but I have store bought vanilla that should tide me over. I purchase my vanilla beans off Ebay from a grower in Madagascar)
-Peanut Butter (I have made almond butter before. It is really easy. Peanuts are in season here now, so this will be yummy!)
-Applesauce (mom and I buy apples from a farm in TN near her parents every fall. We will be making applesauce, apple butter, apple jelly, etc. Can't wait for that!)

One perk, that will make this experiment easier, is that my hubby sells food for a living. I will be buying things in bulk from him that I can't find in these places:

-Produce Market: All fruits and veggies, milk, butter
-Organic Farm box program (weekly box of fruits and veggies, delivered to bakery): fruits and veggies
-Mennonite Market: pies, breads, jellies, etc.
-Butcher: ground beef, chicken
-Woman in town that sells: flour, raw sugar, wheat, etc.
-Local pharmacies: diapers, meds, personal care items
-Bakery: bread, sweets, some cheeses
-"Dented Can store": canned items, diapers, crackers, etc.
-Our pantry: canned green beans, jelly, beans, olive oil, sugar, spices/herbs, granola, etc.
-Our freezer: Pork loin, frozen veggies, soups, roasts, peaches, blueberries
-Mom: Fresh eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment