Tuesday, January 01, 2008

GINGER COOKIES
This recipe was passed to me from my mother, who received it from her friend, Katy Sammons, who got it from her grandmother. It has been passed many times because they are AWESOME! Since I have sworn off food in 2008 (well, I am at least doing Weight Watchers. I am losing the rest of this baby weight in 2008, darn it!), I made a few modifications, which I have noted in the recipe. These cookies stay chewy and delicious, even after they have cooled. Yum!

Ginger Cookies
-1 cup oil (I used 1/2 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup oil)
-2 cups sugar
-2 eggs
-3 teaspoons ground ginger
-1 teaspoon ground cloves
-2 Tablespoons molasses
-3 1/2 cups plain flour (I used white-wheat bread flour, b/c that was what I had on hand)
-2 teaspoons baking soda
-1 teaspoon salt
-4 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together. Roll into small balls, then roll in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes. Do not overcook, or they will get hard, instead of chewy.I didn't measure my spices. Also, I used a little less than 3 cups of flour (but using bread flour might have made the difference). I couldn't tell the difference from using wheat flour and applesauce, but it did make them a little healthier (which is relative, I suppose, when you are talking about cookies!). This recipe makes a LOT of cookies, which was great for making some, and having dough to put in the freezer for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment