Friday, November 02, 2007

BOUNTYMom and I spent the day yesterday canning tomatoes purchased from the local produce stand. It was so nice to see all those rows of glass jars full of fresh tomatoes ready to be made into lasagne, or chili, or some other such yumminess. I am really moving away from canned goods. After reading about that rat's head in the can of Allen's green beans (purchased at Wal.Mart, no less)...I am really wanting to be involved in as many steps of my food preparation as possible. Plus, there are no additives or preservatives...just fresh tomatoes.

The day after Halloween, the pumpkin stand in town was giving away all the leftover pumpkins. I drove over and filled up the back of the mom-mobile. Some of the pumpkins were priced at $17 apiece!! This was the sweet hookup.
I might have gone a little overboard. I am seeing lots of pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, toasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin soup, pumpkin butter, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies (?) in our future! Hmmm. maybe I should revise the poll (on the left of this blog) to include something with pumpkin? :)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's mucho pumpkins!! Have fun scooping out the guts. (that's what my dad calls the insides)

    I've got a great pumpkin bar recipe if you'd like it. I've also got the cream cheese icing recipe to go with it! Yummm. These bars were a family tradition at my house growing up. Jeff doesn't "do" pumpkins, though.

    Wow, you are really doing great. I love to hear about your adventures in simplifying. I'm still in declutter mode! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://journeytocrunchville.wordpress.com/2007/07/19/7/
    you HAVE GOT to check out this blog. You are a total crunchy mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:11 PM

    What a great idea. You are resourceful Laurel!

    ReplyDelete