Saturday, February 21, 2009

THE REAL DEALThis is my kitchen window, as seen from the man shed. I was sitting in Matt's chair the other day, printing out something, and suddenly my kitchen window struck me as quite a lovely little thing. I love that there are real shutters, with working shutter dogs. The shutter dogs were one of the first things I noticed when we came to see the house, and they still delight me.

The real thing is just so much more satisfying than an imitation, isn't it? And I am not just talking about shutters. Real friendships with deep connections. Real food, made with healthy, natural ingredients. Clothing made out of natural fibers. Hardwoods floors. Reading a book, instead of poring over a computer monitor.

During these last few months, I have been taking the path of least resistance in many areas. I am thankful for the convenience that fast food, prepackaged items, TV, etc. have offered during a difficult time. But now that I am feeling better, I am craving things that feel more authentic and have a stronger connection with the natural world.

More time outside in the sun, less time in front of a computer or TV.
More fresh, raw fruits and vegetables, less food that comes in a bag or can.
More clothes drying on the line, smelling like the sun, less using the dryer multiple times for the same load (to get the wrinkles out, AGAIN!).
More books and play dough and legos, less Wii and playstation and DVD player.
More friends over, less instant messaging on Facebook.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:05 AM

    So true. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your shutters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are getting better--I'm so glad. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am RIGHT there with you!!! you echo my thoughts exactly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I'm nodding...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove the do tails too! I remember the first time you came to visit me in Beaufort and told me that was what those were called! I need some on my shutters...but they would be fake :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post!
    Thank you for saying "poring" and not "pouring" -- ;)
    I love real things and real shutters are quite rare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:20 AM

    I'm so glad you're feeling better, Laurel. And I always love it when you talk about this kind of thing. I'm right with you!
    ,
    Susan :-)

    ReplyDelete