Friday, November 23, 2007

AGAINST THE FLOW

Today is Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year!! Will you be out shopping today, buying your Christmas gifts, or will you be observing the Buy Nothing Day?

This will be the first year of my adult life (other than the years that I had a newborn) that I am not out fighting the crowds at Toys 'R Us, Wal.Mart, and the Mall. I have never been a big shopper but have always loved Black Friday to get me in the Christmas spirit. This year, I am going to get in the mood a different way, and so far (it is 9:15 am, usually I would have already been shopping for 4 hours), I don't miss the shopping experience at all!

To start off the holiday season, today I am going to be cleaning and decluttering my house (while blasting the Christmas music!!), so I can start with a clean slate when I get out the Christmas decorations tonight or tomorrow. After I get my house clean, the boys and I will head to my parents house to pick up pecans. Tonight, the hubby will build a fire and we will have popcorn and hot chocolate or cider. We will snuggle up on the couch and read books about Christmas and talk about our plans for the holiday season.

Tomorrow we will go buy our Christmas tree from the produce stand and begin decorating for the holidays!

Here is an interesting website called oxfam where you can buy gifts for friends and family (100% of profits go to fight poverty), or you even give a cow to a family in a third world country, as well as many other things. Check it out. There is a cute video on there too about those awful gifts that we all inevitably get (singing fish, anyone?).

No comments:

Post a Comment